The original nine-hole course was called Bayside and was the design of one of the country’s greatest players, Chandler Egan, in 1933. How Egan got to Baywood in the first place is a story in itself. He was a Chicago native born in 1884 and wound up going to Harvard where he was the National Collegiate Champion in 1902. In 1904, he was the U.S. Amateur Champion, the Western Open Champion and Gold Medalist in the Olympic Games held in St. Louis (incidentally, the last Olympics to have golf until Rio in 2016). In 1905, Egan won the U.S. Amateur again, an event on par with the U.S. Open at the time. He was the best player in America.
For reasons not exactly clear, Egan and nine other Harvard graduates moved to Medford Oregon in 1911 where he became a rancher and then began his golf architecture career. He could still play though as evidenced by a team match at Waverly Country Club in Portland Oregon, an Egan design. Chandler went head to head against the worlds best player, Harry Vardon, and his partner, Ted Ray.